Council plays a key role in developing the right factors for businesses, infrastructure and the economy to expand.
The key objectives
- Creating the right climate and environment for positive growth
- Ensuring the development of necessary infrastructure to facilitate employment of local residents in a digital economy
- Diversifying the economy by identifying future employment types, in order to maintain high and stable levels of employment
- Ensuring community development enhances quality of life and contributes to sustainable communities
- Encouraging enterprise and innovation raising the skills of local people
The Council plays an important role in the economic development for the region and recognises the need to build a robust and stable financial structure that will help build stronger communities within the region. This will enable the creation of wealth, prosperity and jobs in line with council’s vision of moving forward together and being one of Australia’s most sustainable regions. The goal for council in terms of economic development for the region is to have a mature, diversified economy that will further enrich the Shire’s quality of life, natural environment and diverse cultures with a growing commitment to sustainability. Council aims to build an economy that it is more resilient to the peaks and troughs of current economic cycles and for local communties, businesses, infrastructure and technology to have a reputation for sustainability and success, both nationally and internationally. Council will continue to work closely with the range of public, private and community stakeholders to successfully deliver a stronger economy and ensure that the region is flexible enough to respond as necessary to any changes that are occurring in the economy.
Council aims to create a dynamic business environment that secures prosperity through sustainable growth within the communities. The Victoria Daly region has a diverse economy ranging from tourism and agriculture to mining and environmental related fields.
Victoria Daly Regional Council manages a complex network of sealed, gravel, formed and flat bladed track roads across a local government area in excess of 167,575km2.
With such an enormous road distance, Victoria Daly Regional
Council operates on a limited budget to undertake the following to ensure that all roads within the Council are maintained to an appropriate standard:
- All maintenance, upgrade and construction works for all sealed & unsealed roads;
- Footpaths, kerbing, road verges, drainage;
- Traffic management plans; and
- Traffic advisory & calming.
From time to time, the Council is successful in attaining additional funding for Local Roads & Traffic Management through Natural Disaster Relief & Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) which funds vital repairs to roads that have been in Natural Disasters or through one-off Special Purpose Grants.
The Northern Territory has a Gross Regional Product (GRP) estimated at $14.6 billion (2008). This has contributed greatly to the VDRC’s economy. For more information on the NT, click here or for some general figures please see below:
- Population (estimated at 30 June 2009) 225,900 people
- Gross Regional Product (GRP) $14.6 billion
- Unemployment rate (June 2011) 3.7 %
- Area 1,346,200 km2. (Please note this is a large file)
- Time Zone (ACST) Australian Central Standard Time
- Major Urban Centres Darwin and Palmerston
The Victoria Daly Region is more than a place to do business – it’s a lifestyle choice rich in culture, natural beauty and opportunity.
For more Information
Please contact the Chief Executive Officer – on (08) 8972 0777
Safety is important
29 Crawford Street,
Katherine East NT 0850
PO Box 19, Katherine NT 0851
Further Enquiries Regarding Recruitment
Ph: 0448 788 498